Thursday 2 February 2012

Too big a picture?

The whole of London seems to be flocking to the new David Hockney exhibition called "A Bigger Picture". And yesterday we went too. Being a keen fingerpainter, I wanted to see his ipad work. To say that this exhibition was OVERWHELMING, is an understatement. See here to the left, my version of Hockney's ipad tunnel, with a tiny overwhelmed me at the bottom. There were hundreds of paintings of the Yorkshire landscapes, admired by a sea of wowing old ladies and extremely tall young ladies with sketchbooks. The colours were so bright they jumped out at you and wrestled you to the ground. I hadn't been quite as scared since I went to see Disney's Alice in Wonderland as a child (I was a teenager, actually). I was ANGRY and needed to be calmed down with tea and sandwiches and soothing husband conversation. We talked for hours before my heart rate went back to normal. I like Hockney very much (no, seriously), he does what he wants, whatever grabs his attention he explores without worrying about pleasing others. At least this is what comes across and what is so free and wonderful about him. He also works, I mean WORKS. And that is very inspiring. He does thousands of sketches, paintings, huge canvases, films, photos. I don't want to be Frida Kahlo anymore. I want to be David Hockney.

No comments: