Sunday 4 March 2012

The Mighty Blendy Pens

Sometimes I go shopping for art supplies with my friend and fellow artist Diana. I have tons of art supplies already, but I NEED to have more. To impress Diana, I decided to show some kind of restraint last time we went to Cass Art and did not buy a big box of Blendy Pens. I had some old ones at home already, and, really, I didn't need them. Or did I? Actually the Blendy Pens were that one elusive tool that would have magically guided my hand into creating the most amazing art EVER. I had to have them. As simple as that. So I bought them online for £2 more than they cost at Cass. When they finally arrived in the post I discovered that they were bigger than the ones I had already, and I much preferred the smaller ones. I started to wonder as to whether the Cass ones were big or small. Should I go back to Cass and get them? Two boxes of Blendy Pens - isn't that a bit too much? Do I "deserve" them? Of course, if I showed myself worthy of them. But how? The idea of a Blendy Pen pilgrimage started taking shape in my head: I am going to walk to Cass! 5.5 miles!!! The next day I set off at 9am with a small rucksack and a bottle of water and walked, walked, walked. The funny thing about this pilgrimage was that I walked by two places where I used to live ages ago, and so it also became a memory lane kind of walk. I walked by shops, gardens, dogs, cats and lots of joggers (were they all running to Cass?). An altogether fantastic and dreamy experience. 2 hours later I arrived in Cass, ran downstairs and grabbed the Blendy Pens box, only to discover that it was identical to the one I had bought online. So I bought something else (well, I had to, after all that!) and took the bus home.
As a present for Diana's birthday I made this sketch of a vintage car from a photo I took in Julian, AZ, and coloured it with... the mighty Blendy Pens!

1 comment:

www.trincastudios.com said...

The effort to gain the almighty and much needed blendy pens has, undoubtedly, now pushed the artwork into the Master category for me.
Thank you for the lovely artpiece :D